,Manjunath Bhat, VP Analyst at Gartner, recently presented at the Gartner IT Infrastructure, Operations & Cloud Strategies Conference 2021, Americas, and identified six technology trends that will impact DevOps in 2022.
Key takeaways from Manjunath’s session include:
- “Value Stream Platforms: The end-to-end sequence of activities performed to deliver value to the customer, from building and deploying an application to maintaining it in production. There are 2 types: 1) value stream management platforms and 2) value stream delivery platforms.
- AI augmented DevOps: The use of AI-enabled technologies to augment the entire software development life cycle. One example of this is email platforms auto generated or auto complete a user’s draft sentences.
- Continuous infrastructure automation: This trend applies agile and DevOps practices such as version control, continuous testing and CI/CD to infrastructure code rather than application code, bringing the same benefits to apps teams and I&O teams alike.
- GitOps: A technique for operating a cloud native application using only declarative constructs stored in Git, which is increasingly popular with organizations that are using Kubernetes and containers.
- Site Reliability Engineering (SRE): A software engineering mindset that uses automation to reduce toil, or low value tasks, as the guiding principle.
- Chaos engineering: The use of experimental and potentially destructive failure testing in pre-production to uncover vulnerabilities and weaknesses (e.g., single points of failure, latency) within a complex production system.”