Jeffrey Hewitt, VP Analyst at Gartner, recently presented at the Gartner IT Infrastructure, Operations & Cloud Strategies Conference 2021, Americas, and identified the top emerging trends that will impact I&O over the next 12 to 18 months.
Key takeaways from Jeffrey’s session include:
- “Just-in-time infrastructure: Putting the right infrastructure in the right place – colocation, data center, at the edge and more – is just as important as how quickly the infrastructure can be deployed.
- Digital natives: There is an opportunity for traditional I&O organizations to lead with innovation and leverage their digital-native counterparts that thrived during the pandemic to also produce highly agile and competitive offerings.
- Management confluence: I&O is increasingly moving toward integration and operations, or how all of the required management capabilities, such as ITSM or AIOps, can be brought together in a single tool to drive agility. This also drives the need for composable technologies.
- Data proliferation: Data is going to continue to multiply in variety, velocity and volume, and the onus is put on I&O to support its storage and access.
- Business acumen: I&O leaders are guiding their functions through a rapidly changing and distributed technology environment, driving the need for new I&O hires to have less of a technical background and more of a business-based mindset.
- Career leaders to career lattices: Similar to the business acumen trend, I&O is moving away from single domain career paths driven by workloads and legacy technical skills, and more toward learning agility and cross-domain expertise.”